What is Prednisolone
Prednisolone is an oral steroid used to manage a wide variety of inflammatory conditions. Due to its systemic effects, Prednisolone is usually prescribed when the condition is fairly severe, or when no other more direct form of treatment can be applied.
Prednisolone can be used to treat the following conditions:
- Endocrine disorders - Prednisolone can help relieve the problems associated with the function of various glands in the body, including the adrenal glands, the thyroid, and several others. Prednisolone may also used for cancer-related disorders affecting these systems.
- Disorders affecting the joints and connective tissues - this steroid proves to be extremely efficient at managing and treating such inflammatory conditions as arthritis, bursitis, and most of their variations.
- Inflammatory disorders of the skin - such conditions as psoriasis and various forms of dermatitis are known to be especially responsive to the treatment with Prednisolone, but this drug is usually prescribed in cases where topical treatment cannot be applied.
- Allergic reactions - allergies are very closely associated with the process of inflammation, and since Prednisolone can effectively shut down almost any instance of inflammation in the organism, it can swiftly extinguish any signs and symptoms of allergies, even the more severe ones.
- Inflammation of the eyes and surrounding tissue - while oral Prednisolone is not often prescribed to treat inflammatory conditions affecting the eyes, Prednisolone eye drops can be used to relief the symptoms of various ophthalmic diseases.
This list continues to include various respiratory conditions, gastrointestinal disorders, disorders of the blood and blood vessels, as well as nervous system problems. Also, due to the high flexibility of this drug, it can often be used for many conditions that are not officially included in the list of indicated conditions.
How Does Prednisolone Work
As far as pharmacology goes, Prednisolone is not different from any other corticosteroid. When taken, it affects certain receptors in the body by mimicking the activity of naturally occurring hormones. This action allows to artificially suppress various processes associated with inflammation, including the immune response and such effects as swelling, itching, redness, increased sensitivity, and pain. The effects Prednisolone provides are only temporary - it will likely not have any lasting effects on the organism, and is therefore only good for controlling the apparent symptoms, but not the cause of whatever disorder you are trying to cure.
Prednisone vs Prednisolone
The comparison of these two drugs can be summarized in the following statements:
- Prednisone and Prednisolone are both very similar steroid medications. Their main difference lies in the slight changes in chemical structure.
- If we look at the pharmacology of these drugs, we will see that when Prednisone is taken in its pure form, it is subsequently metabolized by the liver and turned into a chemical equivalent of Prednisolone.
- Essentially, these drugs are very close in their effects - you could say that they are the different stages of a single medical substance. The medical relevance to the existence of these two different yet very similar medications lies in the difference of metabolization cycles, and subsequently in the range of effects these drugs have on different systems of the organism.
- These differences may be too hard to explain in non-medical terms, so we will just say that if your doctor recommends using one drug over the other, it is because your symptoms will most likely respond better to the recommended drug.
- If you are intent to choose the option to buy Prednisolone online and are trying to decide which drug to pick to better treat your condition, it may be better to just stick to Prednisolone. Only a medical professional can precisely understand the minute differences in the effects of these drugs, and prescribe one that is better based on experience and the results of research.
For some time now, the generic version of Prednisolone steroid has been made available to the public. While you cannot freely purchase Prednisolone over the counter, certain legal loopholes allow its acquisition via the Internet. You can indeed buy Prednisolone online even if you do not have a prescription on hand, and we can recommend a few reputable stores that will be more than willing to fulfill all of your demands for this potent corticosteroid. However, we still believe it is necessary to contact a physician prior to taking Prednisolone in order to ensure the efficacy and safety of treatment. The risk of serious complications may be slim, but it is always a good idea to be completely prepared for the unexpected.
This article is continued on to page two to reveal the most prominent side effects of Prednisolone as well as a few other interesting topics regarding this corticosteroid.