Elidel Cream Summary
Elidel is a skin treatment drug which contains a medical substance called pimecrolimus; it is commonly used to treat atopic dermatitis, otherwise known as eczema - a skin condition similar to allergies that causes several unpleasant symptoms on the surface of the skin, making it especially sensitive to external irritants.
Elidel (pimecrolimus) may be used to effectively prevent most of the symptoms from surfacing, helping with:
- Itching, rash, hives;
- Redness, swelling, inflammation;
- Skin dryness, scaling, flaking;
This medication is commonly used over short to mid-term treatment periods and can be successfully used by children at least 2 years of age. However, because of its specific mechanism of action, Elidel should only be considered as an alternative method of treatment for patient who had achieved no satisfactory results with primary methods of treatment. It is not advised to buy Elidel cream online to be used as an initial course of treatment, especially if you intend to use it to treat your child's condition, or if you havenít consulted your doctor beforehand. As part of its pharmacological effect, Elidel is known to reduce the effectiveness of the patient's immune system, making it more likely for the person to become infected, resulting in increased susceptibility to cold, flu, herpes, and other common infections.
Elidel Dosing and Application
Since Elidel is only used to treat one type of condition, eczema, particularly mild to moderate in severity, there is only one standard dosage and treatment routine available for all patients:
- Apply a thin film-like layer to the affected areas twice a day;
- This medication is designed to dry out and form a protective layer on the skin without any additional handling. Do not wash off or try to otherwise remove the remaining traces of the drug;
- If you do not intend apply this medication to your hands then you should wash them after each application of Elidel.
- Only apply the cream to dry, clean skin. You may use a moisturizer after Elidel cream has completely dried.
- Initial results of the treatment will become noticeable within the first 2 weeks of treatment;
- If after 6 weeks you still do not perceive any significant improvement in your symptoms, you should temporarily suspend using Elidel and contact your doctor.
Precautions regarding Pimecrolimus
Although Elidel is not considered to be a dangerous drug, it is mainly used only as an alternative to topical steroids and other primary means of treatment. The reason for that is that the active ingredient within Elidel cream, pimecrolimus, acts by suppressing the patientís immune system, potentially causing various unpleasant side effects if any of these reactions are left unattended in their early stages of development. This point is especially important to patients who already have a weakened immune system due to an underlying condition, or are suffering from an infectious disease or a chronic infection. Since it is possible to buy Pimecrolimus cream online without actually visiting a doctor first, people who purchase this medication may not always be fully aware if they are currently affected by an infection, which may progress without them noticing.
It is very important to confirm if you meet the necessary requirements before using this particular drug, following the provided instructions, precautions and restrictions:
- Do not use Elidel if you have any type of skin infection, including herpes or chickenpox, or if you develop any of them during the treatment;
- Several medical studies indicate that Elidel may in extremely rare cases worsen or induce skin cancer in certain patients. It is not advised to use this drug if you currently have or had skin cancer, lymphoma, or any other type of cancer;
- This drug may produce allergic reactions, both from the active ingredient as well as any inactive component within the formulation. When you buy pimecrolimus cream online, make sure you do not have any allergies that may trigger a reaction to this medication;
- Usually, there is no danger of encountering any drug interactions with pimecrolimus cream since only miniscule amounts are absorbed through the skin and get into the bloodstream. However, you should only use this medication with your doctor's approval if you are currently taking cimetidine, conivaptan, nefazodone, HIV drugs, or any antifungal or antibiotic medications;
Eczema Treatment Plan
In order to keep your symptoms from worsening, as well as improve the condition of your skin and its recovery rate, it may be wise to adhere to several simple tips intended to help with the treatment and management of eczema. These instructions should not serve as a replacement for any type of treatment provided by a medical healthcare specialist, since they will only serve to supplement the recovery rate during actual medical therapy.
Whether you buy Elidel cream online or purchase it locally, your doctor or pharmacist will be able to provide you with a list of additional instructions to be followed during the treatment, which will usually include the following:
- Use a moisturizer ointment, oil, lotion or cream in addition to your normal treatment routine to allow more steady and comfortable recovery of the skin.
- Try to avoid activities that may make you sweat, such as excessive physical exercise. Your doctor may recommend healthy "static" exercises that will help you remain fit without causing alterations in body temperature.
- Avoid being exposed to cold air or wind, as it may worsen your symptoms. If you reside within a cold climate, wear protective garments (such as gloves or a scarf) to ensure most of your skin is covered.
- Wear clothes made from cotton, silk or other soft fabrics that will not irritate your skin;
- Take short, lukewarm showers several times a day to moisturize the skin. Also, note that moisturizing agents (creams, ointments, lotions) work best when applied to damp skin, "locking" the moisture in;
- If necessary (or possible), use a humidifier at your home or place of work to compensate for dry and/or cold climate.